Burns are among the most painful and devastating injuries. Severe burns can limit movement, cause disability, and lead to multiple surgeries and significant scarring. Burn injuries can have long-term consequences for victims.
At The Law Offices of Willie D. Powells III and Associates, PLLC in Houston, we are dedicated advocates for people who have suffered burn injuries. Willie D. Powells is not your average attorney. He will fight zealously for your rights and work hard to recover the compensation you deserve.
Burn Injury Facts
The American Burn Association (ABA) provides information about the incidence and treatment of burns in the U.S.:
- 486,000 burns received medical treatment in 2016
- 40,000 hospitalizations for burn injuries occurred in 2016
- Survival rate for burn injury victims was 96.8% in 2015
- 68% of burn victims were male and 32% were female
- 73% of burns occurred in the home
- 8% of burns were occupational
- 5% were sustained on a street or highway
- 5% occurred in sports or recreational activities
What Are the Symptoms of Burns?
Burns are tissue damage from heat, sun exposure, radiation, or chemical or electrical contact. Symptoms vary depending on the severity. Burns and their symptoms are graded in degrees:
- First-degree burn: This is a minor injury affecting only the outer layer of skin. A first-degree burn can cause some redness and pain.
- Second-degree burn: This degree of burn is more serious, affecting both the epidermis and the dermis. Symptoms may include: swelling; redness, whiteness or splotchiness of the skin; blisters; and severe pain. Second-degree burns can cause scarring.
- Third-degree burn: The burn reaches through the epidermis and dermis to the fat layer beneath the skin. Burned areas may be black, brown, or white, and the skin may appear leathery. Third-degree burns can destroy nerves and cause numbness.
How Do Burn Injuries Occur?
Burn injuries caused by someone else’s negligence can occur in different situations, including:
- Car, truck, and motorcycle accidents when an explosion occurs upon impact in a collision or a fire is caused by fuel, fluids, or faulty wiring.
- Construction and other workplace accidents, where workers are exposed to flames, sparks, hot liquids, compressed gases, electrical wiring, fires, and explosions.
- Defective product injuries when propane tanks or gas grills trigger fires or explosions, or ovens, toasters, or space heaters catch fire.
Get Legal Help for Burn Injuries
Burn injuries can have serious consequences for victims and their families. If you have suffered burn injuries through the negligence of another, our Houston injury lawyer at The Law Offices of Willie D. Powells III and Associates, PLLC has the knowledge, skills, resources, and dedication to aggressively pursue the maximum compensation on your behalf. With our firm, you are not just another number – we are always available to our clients by text, email, or phone.