Motorcyclists are unprotected and vulnerable to serious injuries in a crash. Sadly, many motorcycle accidents are caused by other drivers. If you have been hurt in motorcycle crash, The Law Offices of Willie D. Powells III and Associates, PLLC in Houston can assist you. Willie is different – not your average attorney. You are not just another number and we are always available to our clients by email, phone, or text.
Motorcycle Fatalities in the 40 and Older Age Group
NHTSA reports that in the 10-year period from 2007 to 2016, motorcycle fatalities increased by 2%. The 40 and older age group accounted for 49% of motorcyclist fatalities in 2007 as compared to 54% in 2016. Motorcycle traffic deaths among people age 40 and older increased by 12% from 2,545 in 2007 to 2,841 in 2016, and the average age of people killed in motorcycle accidents increased from 39 to 43.
Why Do Motorcyclists Have a Higher of Injury than Other Motorists?
- A motorcyclist lacks the protection of an enclosed vehicle, including safety features such as seat belts and airbags.
- Motorcycles are smaller, lighter, and less stable than passenger vehicles and more seriously affected by road hazards.
- Motorcycles are smaller and less visible than passenger vehicles and drivers, failing to see them in the road, fail to yield the right-of-way.
How Do Motorcycle Accidents Occur?
A motorcycle crash can occur in any number of ways. Common causes of accidents include:
- Cars making left-hand turns: This dangerous traffic situation accounts for a large percentage of two-vehicle motorcycle accidents. A car frequently strikes a motorcycle when it is going straight through an intersection and the car is turning left. One explanation is that drivers simply fail to register the motorcycle in the roadway.
- Head-on collisions: In many accidents involving a motorcycle and a car, the car strikes the motorcycle in the front. Head-on collisions can be deadly for motorcyclists.
- Speeding: NHTSA reports that 33% of motorcyclists involved in fatal crashes in 2016 were speeding.
- Road hazards: Motorcycles are smaller, lighter, and less stable than passenger vehicles. Road hazards such as uneven pavement, potholes, and dead animals in the road can have disastrous consequences for riders.
- Alcohol: Of the motorcycle traffic fatalities in 2016, 25% (1,259) had a BAC of .08 or higher, and 33% of the motorcyclists killed in Texas crashes in 2016 had a BAC of .08 or higher.
Why You May Need a Lawyer after a Motorcycle Crash
Motorcycle accidents can cause serious injuries leading to extensive medical expenses and temporary or long-term disabilities. If you have been hurt in a motorcycle crash that was someone else’s fault, it is important to recover full and fair compensation for your losses.
Our experienced motorcycle accident attorney at The Law Offices of Willie D. Powells III and Associates, PLLC in Houston can investigate your accident, thoroughly prepare your case, negotiate skillfully on your behalf, and fight for your rights in court if necessary. Schedule a consultation to find out if you have a case and what damages you may be entitled to claim.