What Are the Most Common Causes of Car Accidents in Houston?
Most car crashes are due to human error. Whether it’s inattention or intentional recklessness, a driver’s mistake can lead to a devastating accident, injuring themselves and the occupants of other vehicles.
At the Law Offices of Willie D. Powells III and Associates, PLLC, we understand how much a car accident can upend a person’s life. It causes physical pain, emotional trauma, and financial burdens. When you’re trying to recover from your injuries, you probably don’t want to take on the responsibility of an auto insurance claim. You can depend on our legal team to handle the complicated process on your behalf.
Motor vehicle crashes are common in Texas. According to statistics, 14,656 people suffered serious injuries, and 3,896 people died in traffic accidents in 2020. When you share the road with other drivers, there isn’t much you can do to prevent a collision. Even if you take the necessary safety precautions, someone else could make a dangerous mistake, placing you in harm’s way.
Do not hesitate to contact Willie D. Powells III for a free consultation to discuss the accident you were involved in and learn about your available legal options. We will be your advocate during this challenging time in your life and work hard to try to reach a favorable outcome in your case.
Most Common Causes of Car Accidents in Houston
Various contributing factors can result in a car crash. You have to look out for other vehicles and poorly maintained roadways. Additionally, bad weather can be dangerous, especially if drivers exceed the speed limit or become distracted by their cell phones. If a motorist doesn’t operate their car safely, given the conditions they encounter, they can cause a devastating accident.
The most common causes of car accidents include:
- Defective vehicles and parts – Malfunctioning parts can cause drivers to lose control of their car and crash into someone else.
- Speeding – Exceeding the speed limit, especially in heavy traffic or adverse weather, increases the risk of an accident.
- Unsafe lane changes – It’s critical to use a turn signal and merge into another lane slowly. Entering an occupied lane without warning can result in the driver sideswiping another vehicle.
- Distracted driving – Paying attention to anything other than the road ahead prevents the driver from noticing hazardous conditions.
- Tailgating – Following a person’s vehicle too closely doesn’t allow enough space for them to avoid a collision if the driver ahead stops or slows down suddenly.
- Failure to obey traffic signs and signals – Signs and signals keep traffic flowing smoothly, so accidents don’t happen. Ignoring them increases the risk of a crash.
- Driving under the influence – Drugs and alcohol impair physical and mental faculties. It’s more difficult for a driver to navigate roadways safely and react appropriately to dangerous situations.
- Defective roadways – Road defects can lead to collisions, especially if motorists behave recklessly around them. A driver might lose control of their car if they hit a large pothole at high speeds.
- Driver fatigue – Fatigued driving is similar to drunk or drugged driving because it impairs a person’s driving abilities.
- Failure to check blind spots – Checking blind spots before turning or merging is necessary to avoid colliding with a vehicle traveling alongside.
If someone else were responsible for the accident you were involved in, you should immediately reach out to an experienced lawyer. A knowledgeable car accident attorney can help you navigate the complicated claims process while you focus on your recovery. You deserve compensation for the incurred expenses and the suffering you endured.
How Collisions Occur
Negligence often leads to collisions between motor vehicles. Negligence is the legal basis used in many car accident cases. It refers to a person’s failure to exercise a reasonable degree of care to minimize the risk of or avoid causing harm to someone else.
Operating a motor vehicle without regard for another person’s safety is negligent behavior. Every driver should navigate the roadways carefully by following traffic laws and paying attention to the people around them. Texting at the wheel, blowing through a stop sign, and weaving in and out of traffic are some examples of dangerous misconduct that can lead to a collision.
Injuries Suffered in Car Accidents in Houston
The occupants of cars can sustain injuries in any type of accident. Even minor collisions can lead to muscle strain or whiplash. The most common injuries caused by car accidents include:
- Internal bleeding
- Concussions or traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
- Emotional or psychological distress
- Spinal cord damage
- Back and neck injuries
- Cuts and burns
- Scarring or disfigurement
Catastrophic collisions often result in ongoing medical problems. Many victims require treatment to manage chronic pain or regain mobility in a limb. Others become disabled and need daily assistance with routine tasks. Additionally, the mental trauma from an accident could even last long after the physical injuries heal.
Compensation for Car Accidents Caused by Negligence
All drivers must carry auto insurance with liability coverage. This would pay for another person’s medical care and other losses if the policyholder were responsible for an accident. Since Texas is an at-fault state, you could hold the negligent motorist liable for the losses you suffered, such as:
- Medical expenses
- Physical impairment or disfigurement
- Loss of household services
- Property damage
- Mental anguish
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
You could also pursue exemplary damages if you decide to file a lawsuit against the other driver. However, this does not compensate you for your losses. Instead, it punishes the defendant for their actions. There must be clear and convincing evidence of their gross negligence, malice, or fraud if you want to receive this financial award.
How Willie D. Powells III Could Help
Willie D. Powells III is a dedicated and experienced Houston lawyer who will fight for the justice and compensation you deserve. The legal team from the Law Offices of Willie D. Powells III and Associates, PLLC believe in helping accident victims hold others accountable for their wrongdoings.
You should not face the consequences of someone else’s negligent behavior. We can represent you in your case and handle every legal aspect from start to finish. You will be our priority and receive the support and guidance you need to recover from this traumatic experience.
If you were injured in a car accident in Houston, contact Willie D. Powells III for your free initial consultation, and let us help you get on the road to recovery.